You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger




The only complaint I have about Woody Allen's newest movie is that it's just a tad too long. Otherwise I completely enjoyed it. The writing is great, the acting's superb, it's extremely well directed, and I was amused.

Staring Naomi Watts, Josh Brolin, Anthony Hopkins and Antonio Banderas, it's set in London (as all of Woody's recent films have been,) and it's all about an unhappy couple and her unhappy parents. They've all made mistakes and they're all a little desperate, which makes for the kind of characters I tend to find interesting - and is maybe why I've always enjoyed Woody's movies so much.

In the end it turns out that the most deluded people in this movie are the most happy - which I found pretty funny. But it only got a 48% on Rotten Tomato's Tomatometer. Such a shame. I mean, it's not one of Woody Allen's best, but it's better than most of the crap at the multiplex.

A few of the reviews I read complained that he leaves some of the story threads up in the air at the end. Well, jeesh! That's one of the fun things about this film. I enjoyed being able to wonder what would happen next.